How to Winterize a Motorcycle
Winters around Thornton bring plenty of snow, but that shouldn’t mean you have to store your motorcycle away for the season. If you plan on riding a motorcycle in winter, check out our tips for how to winterize a motorcycle. As your trusted Denver motorcycle dealer, Erico Motorsports has the helpful hints you need!
Motorcycle Prep for Riding in Winter
Most people are three-season riders, but if you’re willing to brave the sometimes bitter winter cold, there are things you can do to make riding through the winter more pleasant. Here are some ways to prep your motorcycle, along with a few winter safety tips to keep in mind:
- Buy a set of motorcycle winter tires with plenty of tread.
- Buy a large windscreen to protect yourself from cold wind and debris.
- Craft some wind guards to protect your legs.
- Get a set of heated grips for your handlebars.
- Get new antifreeze that is rated for cold temperatures if it is a water-cooled motorcycle.
- Make sure your hoses and radiator are in good condition to avoid getting stranded.
Above all, make sure you know how to ride your motorcycle in the winter, including watching out for salt, cracks, and black ice, as well as increasing your following distance. You’ll also want to avoid riding if it’s snowing.
How to Store a Motorcycle for Winter
Most riders choose to store their motorcycle for the winter. If that’s your plan, then there are important steps you’ll want to take to get your prized bike ready for storage, including:
- Park your motorcycle in a climate-controlled garage.
- If you don’t have access to a climate-controlled garage, then make sure you have a heavy-duty cover to wrap over the bike for protection from the elements.
- Thoroughly wash and wax the bike.
- Lubricate the chain, cables, controls, and all other moving parts.
- Fill the fuel tank up to at least 90% or so.
- Add a fuel stabilizer to keep the gasoline from going bad.
- Change your oil and filters.
- Flush out other fluids and replace them, including antifreeze.
- Remove the battery and store it in a warm location. A battery tender will also help to prolong the life of the battery.
- Drain the float bowls on the carburetor (if your bike has one).
Get DIY Motorcycle Care Tips from your Denver Motorcycle Dealer!
Follow Erico Motorsports for more information about maintaining and enjoying your motorcycle near Westminister. Whether you’re an advanced rider looking to maximize your time on your bike this winter or a novice who just recently got their motorcycle license, our team of experts has the tips and tricks you’ll need to enjoy your motorcycle year-round. If you have any questions for us, such as how to clean a motorcycle, don’t hesitate to get in touch!
Erico Motorsports Answers More Motorcycle FAQs
Service Writer Work with customers to schedule service work and communicate any additional service needed, also handle the administrative and customer relations aspects of service department operations. Must possess strong communication skills to deal with customers, employees and vendors. Interpret customer concerns and comments for the technician, so that the technician will diagnose problems correctly,…
Erico Motorsports in Denver is Colorado’s largest REV’IT! dealer. Our apparel experts are excited to show you the attributes of the new REV’IT! Urban Collection. The purpose of each garment is to provide all the comfort and protection you need cleverly disguised in fashionable outer…
Whenever you begin the process of accessorizing your bike, start by asking yourself these important questions: What kind of riding will I be doing, i.e. Cross country touring? In-town riding? Or a few long rides on the weekends? Which accessories work best with my bike?…